Skip to main content

My Cred and An Audience of One

When I finally met a certain Trad who wields a particularly poisonous pen against Pope Francis I am sure my presence at a Traditional Latin liturgy took him aback.  I was veiled and modestly dressed, prayed from a 1962 Missal from Baronius Press, and knew the postures and responses without even having to look at the Ordinary of the Missal.  

He probably would have dropped his jaw on the floor had I told him I refrain from eating meat on any Friday that doesn't fall during an Octave, pray the Rosary nearly without fail, and confess as frequently as once a week. I prefer the Douay-Rheims Bible.  I'm not bragging. I'm just saying you can't judge a book by its cover, and in this case, the cover would be the fact that I support whoever the Pope is,  I attend the Ordinary Form and, perhaps most offensive of all, I refused to vote for Donald Trump and pulled the lever for Joe Biden.    

The cover is also the mask on my face, which few if any others wore at this particular Mass, and the vaccine card I proudly flash letting folks know I care enough my own health and theirs to have been fully vaccinated.  

I actually don't worry about my cred with this gang.  It doesn't matter anymore as it shamefully once did. I have an Audience of One, and what I do is for Him alone.  There is a lot of clanging of empty vessels.  There is doubt and uncertainty.  There is suspicion and a lack of trust.  There is noise and contradiction and confusion. But let it never extend to our reliance on the Lamb alone.  

Jesus Christ the Same: Yesterday, Today and Forever. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not to Be

You never had a day that was all about you, until this one There would be no ring placed on your finger by a suitor No surprise planned by bridesmaids to shower you with gifts  No walk down the aisle in white lace, clinging to your beloved father's arm A cascade of flowers falling from your hand It was not to be Still you remained hopeful and never bitter I thought about this as I waited for your hearse to arrive at the cemetery The only time in your life when a hired black car would bring you to the place Where you would be the center of everyone's attention A public appearance planned to the last detail As you would have wanted Except for this You were never "fashionably late" for anything and I thought how you would not have liked this Keeping the guests waiting on a sunny but chilly November day I remembered the words of my favorite Emily Dickinson poem About how after death "a formal feeling comes" And this was the "hour of lead" It came like ...

Our Sisters' Keepers

There are some Catholics who really get under my skin.  One of them graduated from law school where she failed to distinguish herself with scholarly excellence. Still, she got her JD and earned the right to have the initials "Esq" after her name.  I followed her on FB for awhile because she advocated for migrants and said she was pro-life, but when she said we should just let drug addicts die of drug overdoses and spare us their trashy lives, that was that.  I have a son in recovery and his life is not trash.  When you like to throw the pro-life label around, you'd better be able to wear it.  If you're not in favor of protecting everyone's life,  but only people you like or find acceptable, there is not much we can discuss.  Such people undermine the efforts of seamless garment Catholics.  Perhaps more grating than this is that she is willing to hurl the word "murderer" at women who have had abortions.  We can argue whether that is an accepta...

The Loneliness of a Soul Part 1

The yearning to belong is something I can remember as far back as kindergarten.  I never felt normal, because according to the world's definition, I've never been.  And probably nowhere have I been more keenly aware that one thing (me) is not like the rest (them) than in my Church. That has never been more true than it is now.    If the presidency of Donald Trump and the ensuing pandemic have highlighted one thing, it's that the Catholic Church, like much of America, has its fair share of hypocrites.   I jokingly refer to my journey as one of cradle Catholic to trash to Trad to trash again.  It's irreverent for me to refer to myself, a child loved by God, as trash, but the truth is that there are those folks who'd rather kick me to the curb than make hard choices, face tough questions and have honest dialogue.  It's black or white, wrong or right, and absolutely nothing in between.   If I'm going to be honest, I must admit that I do pref...